Workshops for schools/community groups
- Non contact
- Strengthens core, abdominal muscles, and upper body and leg muscles.
- Develops: flexibility, coordination and balance.
- Practising against an opponent develops concentration, focus, communication and patience.
- The game requires players to be skillful in attack and defense while showing great control (both psychological and physical) to avoid unnecessary contact.
- Capoeira is heavily reliant on the musical element and pupils will participate in music sessions.
- Capoeira movements have Portuguese names and songs are in Portuguese, so pupils develop linguistic skills and a knowledge of another culture.
- Pupils develop agility, speed, strength, flexibility, rhythm, concentration, balance, self control, confidence, awareness of space, non verbal communication skills
Introduction to Capoeira
Capoeira is an Afro-Brazilian art form, created by African slaves in Brazil during the Portuguese colonisation. Africans were not allowed to practice their traditional martial arts and they created Capoeira, a martial art disguised as a dance. Capoeira combines physical (acrobatics, martial art, and dance), musical (percussion and singing) and philosophical elements. In a typical Capoeira class students learn the fundamentals of all these aspects. Courses aim to introduce the fundamentals of Capoeira, Pupils should become familiar with the historical, cultural and physical elements involved. Additionally the course incorporates modern exercise techniques into Capoeira training.
The goals of this course are:
•To develop a sense of confidence by working as a group, training together and learning together.
•To create a fun environment for learning the various aspects of Capoeira.
•To introduce Brazilian culture by teaching songs, stories and philosophy of Capoeira.
By the end of the course, students will:
•Understand the importance of stretching, warm-ups, warm downs and strengthening exercises.
•Be able to perform basic Capoeira movements, Sing a little in Portuguese and explain the origins of Capoeira.
•Build sense of confidence, concentration, perseverance and decision making through various individual and team working exercises.
(Suitable for ages 4 – 18)
• Introduction to Capoeira
• Introduction to the Music of Capoeira (Percussion and Singing)
• Basic Warm-up
• Capoeira movements
• Group demonstration of Capoeira movements
• Performance of Advanced movements by instructor/s
• Final music session using the elements taught during the workshop
• Group discussion about the workshop
All the workshops can be arranged for one day, spread across 1 term or 6 months, even yearly. We take pride in tailoring our service to meet the needs of our clients and our excellent feedback speaks for itself.
“This was one of the best workshops I have booked for my students, the instructor managed to keep the students engaged and interested throughout the session, and had the students talking about the amazing experience for weeks” Toke Lettman – Barnfield College Luton
Courses can be tailored to meet the needs and budget of your school.
Medium / Large room to accommodate students, instruments and materials, Groups larger than 15 students will require an additional instructor.
• All instructors fully qualified
• Instructors CRB checked
• References available on request
• All instructors fully insured
•Risk assessment available on request